I was privileged enough to attend a talk on global warming by Dr Joean Oon sometime this week. She’s very well known among Chinese speaking community because her medium of communication is mainly in Mandarin. However, she spoke English to us for our session.
Even though I don’t agree with her on some scientific facts – tsunami is definitely NOT caused by global warming (Please don’t believe a word from that FLOM lah. Haha), but I do agree floods happening now and then are due to global warming.
I am not going to preach about global warming or anything on the environment because I know I will sound like a broken record. We have heard everything but then, are we doing something about it is another story. Google up on Dr Joean Oon and you will find all the good things that she had done and continue doing for the betterment of mother earth.
We had dinner with her after the talk and we ordered all things vegetables because she’s a vegan. She doesn’t seem to age – there’s no one single wrinkle on her face! And she has really good skin! You will be surprised to know she’s already a proud grandmother of one and her eldest daughter is already 30 years old! I thought she must be in her late 30s to 40, so I guess I am wrong! So for those who are vain and want their skin to be ageless and beautiful – maybe you can try to be a vegetarian! Beat any amount of SKII you pile on your face!
After we have talked about eating healthily, etc, she said something really true. She said, we could try our very best in taking care of our diet and do everything right in order to gain good health but all these hard work only comprises 30% only of total well being. So, I asked her what makes the other 70%? I dreaded she would say exercise, but then, she said, 70% is all in the mind!
She spoke of her husband who had liver cancer in 2001. They went to many hospitals and consulted many doctors but all of them gave them the same answer. Go home and wait. As a wife, she wouldn’t want to give up that easily, so she searched for alternative medicine. Her entire family adopted vegan way of life and a positive outlook towards life. Till today, her husband is still alive and they are even blessed with three children and a grand daughter now.
As long as you learn to relax, think positively, be happy – you will lead a healthier and fuller life. So, her secret to her eternal youth and health, apart from being a vegan is – she’s always happy.